Research is one the core functions of Uganda Management Institute. UMI research mission is to generate and disseminate cutting edge knowledge on public administration, management and leadership. UMI’s research focuses on studying management of the public, private and civil society sectors.
Students and staff explores new dynamics in leadership and public policy management, public sector reforms, civil service and political governance, local governance, higher education management, civic engagements and management of civil society organizations, financing and performance of management of the public and private sectors, and development evaluation of public policies, programmes and projects.
UMI research is available to the academic and practitioners through publications, public policy dialogues, policy briefs, seminars and conferences, research partnerships, and attempts to influence policy-makers and practitioners
The UMI Research Centre
UMIRC-is a centre of research excellence, providing unique research coordination and support services to UMI schools, participants and staff. The Centre represents the highest level of research coordination within the Institute and it is an important entity in achieving the goals and objectives of UMI’ research strategy. The Centre provides focused support for participants’ research, staff research and publication, institutional research, policy and developmental research within and across all schools in the Institute. The UMI research policy envisions UMI to be a research led Management Development Institution, thus this centre comes in to provide an appropriate environment for increased quality research, research innovations and research uptake. More specifically the Centre serves the following mandate:
- Coordinate all researches in the Institute
- Coordinate students research
- Coordinate staff research and publications
- Coordinate applied research, policy think tank activities and research projects
- Organise and coordinate all local and international conferences, workshops, seminars and symposia on research activities
- Conduct intelligence research for UMI’ decision making
- Mobilise funding for research projects and activities
- Build research, writing and publication capacity for UMI staff
- Promote Integration of research in training and consultancy function of the Institute
- Advise on research priorities geared to the fulfillment societal benefits
- Work as an outreach providing a link between the Institute and employers in identifying research and courses that are relevant in the market
- Perform any other duty assigned the Centre by Director of programmes and Students Affairs and or Senate.