User Orientation is conducted for all participants at the beginning of every course. It is important that every participant attend the orientation exercises for their own benefit. Please, contact the librarian for assistance when you miss this important exercise.
The three categories of membership are: (a) UMI Staff (including Associate Consultants), (b) UMI Participants, and (c) Outside Users. To become a member, all categories must formerly register with the library department.
Outside users pay Ug.Shs.02,500/= one-day membership fee or Ug.Shs.10,000/= one-week membership. However, the Head Librarian has the discretion of approving membership or not, depending on the condition of the library at a given time or period.
- Monday to Friday: 08:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. (without lunch break)
- Saturday: 09:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. (without Lunch break)
- Sunday: 09:00 a.m. - 09:00 p.m. (without Lunch break)
- Closed on Public Holidays
- Monday: 08.00 a.m. - 05.00 p.m. (with lunch break at 01:00 p.m.)
- Thursday and Friday: 08.00 a.m. - 05.00 p.m. (with lunch break at 01:00 p.m.)
- Saturday and Sunday: 10.00 a.m. - 06.00 p.m. (with lunch break at 01:00 p.m.)
- Closed on Tuesday, Wednesday and Public Holidays
Mbale and Mbarara Libraries
- Monday to Wednesday: 08.00 a.m. - 05.00 p.m. (with lunch break at 01.00 p.m.)
- Saturday: 08.00 a.m. - 05.00 p.m. (with lunch break at 01.00 p.m.)
- Sunday: 08.00 a.m. - 05.00 p.m. (with lunch break at 01.00 p.m.)
- Closed on Thursdays, Fridays and Public Holidays
- Open Section : consists of the open shelves and reading space where users are free to access documents and which they can borrow for use outside the library.
- Reference Section : consists of books of general nature such as encyclopedias, dictionaries, yearbooks, almanacs, concordances, etc. These are strictly used inside the library except when taken out for photocopying.
- Periodical Section: includes current & bound journals, magazines, newspapers, etc. These are strictly used within the library except when taken out for photocopying.
- Reserve Section/ Circulation Section (Issue Desk): contains books on reserve, which are either on high demand, have very few copies, or are very expensive; hence, their circulation is restricted. They are strictly used within the library, but could only be taken out for photocopying. Test-banks (bound examination past-papers) are also kept here.
This section is also the Circulation Section (Issue Desk) for the library where enquiries are handled and documents are processed for borrowing. It is out of bounds for non-divisional staff.
Library News and Events
The Annual Book Week is on from 19th to 25th of November.